tracking

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

He Dwells

Lately, I have been teaching Bible Study and we have been studying Exodus. In particular the part about building the Tabernacle, setting up the Holy of Holies and the robes that Aaron and his sons where to wear.  All of the planning and preparation of these assignments of the Israelites was so they could be constantly reminded that God Dwells with them.  I was thinking about the the scriptures in Numbers 9:15-23, which reads,
On the day the tabernacle, the Tent of the Testimony, was set up, the cloud covered it. From evening till morning the cloud above the tabernacle looked like fire. 16 That is how it continued to be; the cloud covered it, and at night it looked like fire. 17 Whenever the cloud lifted from above the Tent, the Israelites set out; wherever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped. 18 At the LORD's command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped. As long as the cloud stayed over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. 19 When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the LORD's order and did not set out. 20 Sometimes the cloud was over the tabernacle only a few days; at the LORD's command they would encamp, and then at his command they would set out. 21 Sometimes the cloud stayed only from evening till morning, and when it lifted in the morning, they set out. Whether by day or by night, whenever the cloud lifted, they set out. 22 Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. 23 At the LORD's command they encamped, and at the LORD's command they set out. They obeyed the LORD's order, in accordance with his command through Moses.

I gave you the whole passage so that we hold onto the significance of God dwelling among his people.  they created the Tabernacle to be reminded of His Dwelling and here we see them obeying God.  Does he have that type of guidance in your life, that you can easily move when God tells you too?  I know I don't always.  I think one of the main reasons I don't is because, I'm not sure if the I see the cloud or the fire because I'm looking in all the wrong places.   I look for guidance amongst God's people, I use my intellect and sometimes I'm just guessing.  But how powerful the journey would be for all of us if we just did what we where told, when we where told without delay.  In order to do that one has to be in tuned to hear the voice of God.  We must be in close relationship with Him, if we desire to be guided by Him.   We also need to be prepared at all times to move.  Can you imagine what it must of been like for the Israelites to not know if they would be staying for a long time or just over night.  The faith one must have to believe that God knows best.  

Today, look for God.  He is everywhere because He Dwells amongst us.  Look for Him in the big things and the little things that happen in your day.  I think you will be surprised at the places where you will find Him.  Close by waiting to lead you. 

Follow the cloud of fire............It will never lead you in the wrong direction.

2 comments:

  1. Love this, its so funny because I just finished reading Exodus and now I'm up to Numbers...and I'm so grateful for this breakdown and application of the WORD. I thought I just needed to go through these first books of the BIBLE in order to get to the "real meat"!! God is ever present in even the very punctuation of HIS WORD. THank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Exodus is chalked full of great material about what God requires for us to prepare to meet Him. What I have learned is that it's all about worship. He creates the enviroments where we can have true worship. Exodus can be such a hard read, but it has so much to offer in terms of how the old covenant relates to the preparation of Jesus coming in the new covenant.

    BTW thanks for being my 1st post. I want this blog to be a place of dialogue. Such affirmation that i'm headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete